Thursday, August 4, 2005

New AT Speed Record

Andrew Thompson is now the fastest Thru Hiker on "record". Though the ATC doesn't recognize speed attempts, this beats the previous record
holder Pete Palmer. The Nashua Telegraph published an article
by Albert McKeon stated that Pete's record was a "48-day, 20-hour and
11-minute-jaunt" that was completed in 1999.



After reading the journal of Andrew
"Trail Dogg" Thompson, it's interesting to note that he has attempted
the hike before, but stepped off at the 1700 (of 2174) mile mark due
to "deteriorating trail conditions."



When I get to do my thru-hike, it will not be a speed record. As I
hike I tend to stop often to absorb my surroundings. It should also be
noted that I also usually hike in loops and am in no hurry to get back
to the world outside of a hike (i.e. my car).

No comments: