Friday, August 10, 2007

Fri 7/13 - Part Two of Two

Steph jokingly suggested that I come out to California to visit her
while she is there on her internship. She mentioned I could work with
her and earn some money while I was there. Taking a trip to California
to spend time with Steph sounded great, but I wasn't serious about it
because it would cut into my already lean hiking budget. When I knew I
could make enough to cover the trip I started considering it more
seriously, but had less than a day to decide and make arrangements to
get to California. United had expensive but feasible airfare from
Portland, Maine to Sacramento, CA, and at noon today I bought the
ticket! I had 26 hours to get 134 miles without spending a significant
amount of money, and that meant hitching a ride as far as I could go.
I was walking to the edge of town when my first ride stopped before I
stuck out my thumb. Bob O'Brien and his dog Gwendolyn stopped to offer
a lift as far as the trailhead. He figured I'd have a greater chance
of getting picked up from the trailhead looking like a hiker as I did.
"If people pass you by, it's because they're not going very far or
they're ignoring you." From the trailhead I started walking to get
some miles done while hoping someone would pull over for me. There
were no takers for several miles and I came to a rest area called
Smalls Falls. I was going to stay put because there must be better
odds if a car is already stopped than if it comes flying around the
bend in the road at 50 mph. Two girls who had just been out hiking a
section of the AT stopped to see if they could help. They recognized
the pack as hiker ID. turns out they were just with some of the same
people I was with days before, and we laughed together about a funny
guy named Chuck Norris. After about 20 miles they dropped me off near
Phillips and the cars were moving too fast for a ride again. I walked
maybe a mile to Mooseville.com headquarters and asked if the rusty
bikes outside were for sale. Wheels would get me to an intersection
where the cars were slower, I thought. Corey offered a lift to
Farmington after telling me the bikes weren't his to sell and hearing
I was attempting the AT. He wasn't even going that way, but such is
the kindness of the people of Maine. When he dropped me in Farmington
I had his phone number to call for a ride back to the trail from
Portland when I returned in three weeks! What a guy! Please go check
out his website at Mooseville.com to help me thank him for he favor. I
was now at the hospital in Farmington, and not long after getting out
of Cory's car I was climbing into Ronaldo Turtleton's truck for a
short lift across a long and narrow town. He was really nice to stop
for me, and let me off right near someplace I found a piece of
cardboard to make a sign. Apparently hitching by thumb alone is
illegal, but is not illegal if you're using a sign. How about that? I
wouldn't have guessed. I regrettably forget the name of the marine who
picked me up and took me all the way to Auburn, but we had a great
conversation about the war in Iraq. He had served in the Gulf War and
was one of the first marines in Kuwait City. He walked 30 miles to get
there with an 80lb gun on his shoulder like the bad-ass he still is. I
was sure to thank him for his service before he dropped me off. I had
clear directions to the edge of the interstate highway from where our
ride ended, and specific directions not to hitch on any interstate -
it's illegal. My next ride came after updating my brother Michael on
my progress. With my phone not charging like it should, I haven't
talked to my brothers nearly as much as we normally talk. I wish that
wasn't the case. I had come more than halfway from Rangeley to
Portland, and Tony flagged me down from across the street to offer me
a ride the rest of the way. Had I ridden with those girls to Kingfield
I may have seen Tony there. He was headed to Massachusets for a days
work. He did this often because the type of handyman he is isn't worth
much in Maine where most people are also handy. You have to be up
here. Maine is a very poor state with a disproportionately fantastic
quality of life. Granted I am not experiencing it during the negative
35 degree winters. I am merely a tourist. Tony's accent from growing
up in Mass is entertaining. He and his wife from New Hampshire chose
Maine to raise their three girls so they didn't have to grow up around
the violence of big cities like Boston. They wouldn't learn about
drugs or gang violence firsthand. Good for you, Tony. You are a
dedicated father and a wealthy soul. I sincerely hope your daughter
gets past her illness. Tony dropped me off at the offramp where I
could walk to the airport from. I walked off the highway because he
had just enough money for the tolls to his destination. And there I
was at the airport 19 hours early and 7 hours after leaving Rangeley.
Time to visit Steph in Davis, California!

No comments: