Friday, June 29, 2007

People I've Met 6/20

Paul of the AT Lodge in Millinocket, ME - Very helpful guy who's worked to "shakedown" nearly 2000 hikers before they set off for a thru-hike. He helped me eliminate 6 lbs from my pack before I even started, and I was able to shave off 5 or 6 more further down the road thanks to his tips on how to go lightweight. Josh from NY (originially CT) - who I summited Katahdin and started southbound with. We split up halfway through the 100 mile wilderness so he could resupply & regroup, and I hear he's back on the trail! I hope he catches up to me, because it was nice to have someone to camp with. His girlfriend is also Stephanie, so that has led to some fun comparisons! (Nothing bad, Steph, I promise!) Wendi from IN - She left her job, flew out to Maine and walked the 100 mile wilderness in what was probably record time. I hear she left the trail after the 100 mile, so I hope she's doing well. Sam & Paula - I met them coming down the Hunt Trail (on Mount Katahdin) as I was going up it. They're hoping to do the AT before they turn 60. Good for them! Baxter State Park Ranger Paul C. - He was the only person I was able to give away some of my 1 lb of chocolate to. I didn't want to carry it all, but couldn't eat it all myself. Elliot & Lauren from Aurora, IL - Young couple I met at Katahdin Stream Campground who tried summiting on a Class II day and made it halfway up. I headed south the day they were going to make their second summit attempt and I hope they are still behind me on the trail. Bookworm - He's the first NOBO thru-hiker I met, and he finished the day I started. Scrawny little guy, but most completed thru-hikers are... it's hard to eat enough.

No comments: