Sunday, April 9, 2006

REI & Spicy Mustard

Before the work piles up to indicate the end of the semester, I took the opportunity to spend a terriffic afternoon at REI. I was dropping off Pekoe, who visited St. Cloud this past weekend. I rushed over after dropping him off, hoping to catch the climbing wall still open. It wasn't open, so I got to shop for a long time before they closed. I spent most of my time looking at two things I've wanted for a long time: a Hennessy Hammock and an Evernew titanium cookpot. Both are rediculously expensive for what they do, but barely weigh a thing. Lightweight is always the draw of high-end backpacking gear, but the pricetag has me stuck in "making due" land. I'm still using a $6 stainless steel budget-grade cookpot, and heating it with a homemade pop-can stove.

The food is still delicious. My new 25 lb. bag of Thai Jasmine rice only has a small dent in it right now, but that is about to change. Tonight I picked up some Chinese Hot Mustard (delicious) and Thai Chili Sauce (still unopened). I love spicy foods, and I have liked every type of Thai food I've had. I'm not ready to prepare my own Laap Gai (chicken), but I can do spicy Thai beef jerky.

No comments: