Monday, December 27, 2004

Earthquakes & Tsunamis - Who Is Affected?

Unbelievable. I just heard on the news here in Racine that over 20,000 are feared dead in Asia after the massive earthquakes & tsunamis that have destroyed & left oh-so-many homeless. A quick and very incomplete look at any available news sources shows that after the 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake on Sunday off the coast of Sumatra (in Indonesia) triggered catastrophic tsunamis that affected the coastal areas of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and neighbouring Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia, many thousands of people are affected directly, and millions more will be indirectly affected soon.

Since I am regretfully unfamiliar with Asian geography, I wanted to know where the devastation is on the map. Here are some maps I found since Newsweek hasn't done their astonishing graphic representation of the action & it's effects yet.

Map of Indian Ocean

Pray for the affected.

*** Update ***
As of January 6th I am still surprised to find that there are people unaware of what has happened in southern Asia. I got a chance to flip through a copy of Time magazine today and was floored by some of the photographs captured during the devastation. By now, both Time and Newsweek have done their classic depictions of the event.

No comments: