Thursday, June 28, 2007

Mon 6/18 (On the way to Maine)

I'm tense. There are 2 1/2 more hours to wait for the bus to leave from Boston to Bangor, ME. I'm reading "The Places in Between" that I got from Roger while I was staying with him in D.C. after the AAAE Conference & Expo there. The ride from DC to Boston was terrible. Made better only by the fact that I'm finally headed to Maine! The big guy next to me couldn't help but take a third of my seat. Only a Greyhound can smell like it does. They have a bathroom on board, but it seems an unspoken rule that nobody is supposed to use it. The people watching at the bus station is fantastic. The colorful hippie chick and her friend, a black nun in all shades of blue. People sprinting to the next bus because you'll miss it if you don't. French Canadians and their silly outfits. I've triple-checked that i'm in the correct line because I am alone for a bus that leaves in 2 1/2 hours. The cold & cough from Friday is now just a loose cough. I wondered whether it was a sign to push back my trip, but as it cleared up I reserved my campsite that I would stay at before & after summiting Mount Katahdin - the official Northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail! I'm aiming to summit on Wednesday 6/20.

No comments: