New "Fast Updates"
On the right-hand side of my website (www.nickshike.com) is a list of updates made from my cell phone. Once I am on the trail, the updating will be used to tell you where I am along the trail. Each of the 235+ shelters along the trail for thru-hikers have been named. As I pass a shelter, road crossing, trail town, or landmark I will be updating the "Fast Updates" section with my whereabouts. This information combined with the efforts of those who have used the GIS information to map each shelter should provide enough information about my relative hiking speed and recent whereabouts to assist with any rescue efforts, should that be necessary. While I am aware that hiking solo carries more risks than with a group, I am not concerned and hope that you are not concerned for me. The fast updates are merely a backup plan that you can also use to follow me along my journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment