Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Heading South, Starting in Mid-June

I was already planning on attending the National Conference of the American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE) from June 9-13 in Washington D.C.. When I found out about that conference, I was hoping I could walk to D.C . from the south end of the Appalachian Trail. I just found out about another conference being held in Milwaukee, WI from June 3-5. I also am now planning on attending both conferences, which alters the logistics of getting to both conferences and starting my thru-hike. The victim of the Milwaukee conference is any hiking before June. If my previous post didn't tell the story, I was unsure of squeezing a NOBO thru-hike in between May 12th and October 15th. If 146 15-mile days in a 149 day window was going to be difficult, then 122 18-mile days in a 122 day window is at best unpleasant. I have given consideration to heading from Maine to Georgia instead of the opposite, and even hiking the whole trail in 3 southbound sections. While I don't know yet which of those two options I will choose, I am decided on switching directions. Because of the two aviation conferences in early June, I will not be starting my thru-hike before the conferences. This now means that the earliest I can begin is June 15th. Let the training and preparations continue...

No comments: