Telephone Phishing
I just received a phone call from (015)338-664 ... Yes, I know it's 1 digit short and no area code begins with zero. It was a very polite, very stubborn person who informed me that I had been one of 25 people in "my state" chosen to receive a free computer. I asked if I could get a laptop he said "OK, you would like the laptop computer option?" I went right along with him until he asked where I did my banking. "Uhm, which company are you calling from?" He was very quick to assure me that I was just confirming my account information with him, as if he already had it. This did not answer my question of which company he was calling from. The next and last thing that I asked him for was an 800 number to call him back at. He continued phishing for my checking account information, assuring me that this information did not give him enough power to use my account. I called BULL$H1T and asked him to call me back in an hour when I was on my lunch break at work.
A prompt call to my friendly bank teller confirmed my suspicion that even your checking account routing & account number will be enough for anyone persistent enough to get a hold of your money.
I am very excited about my free computer friend calling me back in 40 minutes. I hope telling him I've already filed a report with the FBI for financial account phishing by telephone scares him beyond just hanging up on me.
UPDATE: I can't believe he called back, but he didn't last a second after my news.
No comments:
Post a Comment