Thursday, January 13, 2005

-384.Real Freedom

I've experienced real freedom this week. I found (through automobile trouble) that owning a car ties you down to that one mode of transportation. Besides thinking it was at least a little bit cool, I needed to get myself to work somehow without my beloved jetta. Among my options were the city bus, getting a ride from a friend, walking, biking, taxi... etc. I chose to start by letting the city bus get me as close to work as it could get me. Close was 3 miles away, and I was quite excited on Monday to put the rest of the miles on my boots to get to work. After work the busses weren't running, so I headed out into a relatively warm Minnesota winter wonderland and arrived home about 2-ish hours and 5.5 miles later. If I could keep going at that rate all week, I was on a path to being liberated from the grip of having a vehicle. Those of you who drive, could you intentinally go a week without using your car? Could you enjoy it? I bet anyone could with the right attitude. Go find your freedom!

2 comments:

Brad said...

if i lived 2 miles from work, i'd probably ride my bike much more often (when it isn't 40some degrees out like today). i plan to pedal the 15 miles in may though, during national ride your bike to work week. you can be sure i'll blog you know how it goes...

Tim Sanders said...

Nicholas rules... and has inspired me, once again, to follow in his steps! I got BLOG!
T