-378.Pack/Gear Weights
Apparently plenty of long distance hiking novice start with everything in their pack they will need the entire trip. Not seriously, but a 50lb pack is not unheard of. One of the first people I met & discussed the idea of my trip with was a very friendly and helpful employee at the Roseville, MN area REI. He had many recommendations that are still holding the winning spot for thier gear categories. A phrase he said to me in passing stuck with me more than any of his advice: "My wife and I are going backpacking in the Hymalayas and we have our pack weights down to 20lbs without food."
Excuse me. Twenty Pounds?
I heard right. In reality these packs must surely end up around 35lbs, which I think would be a nifty little starting weight for me to begin with. Now, I am not going to go to every expense to do this, but instead will be practical about what I can and cannot have in the area of top-end equipment.
I cannot have a down sleeping bag. Yes I know they are far warmer for their weight, but the very frightening thought that it could get wet (and then they stay wet much longer than you'd think) swiftly kicks me out of the down bag market. Enough said. Now that I'm going with synthetics, and I already own two synthetic bags of different temperature ratings, I think I'm set in that department.
I cannot have a $300 GPS. Do I even want a GPS? The lightest most functional ones on the market today weigh in at 2.6 ounces. These are the Garmin Geko 201 and 301. Is the price tag ($140/$230, respectively) worth possibly sending this little bugger home to collect dust? Not yet.
Since I am so far doing this hike "solo", is a GPS enabled locater beacon worth my relative and friends worries? This little fella, weighing in at 12 ounces, is capable of sending a unique distress signal when all other hopes of self-rescue have failed. The idea is that you can be located within a .05 mile accuracy and have rescuers prepared with your personal information, medical history, and contact phone number from the moment you turn it on. Cost for on call med-evac service? Only $600.
Will I always have my total gear weight (including water, food, and EVERYTHING ELSE) down around 35lbs? I doubt it. Pack weight alone is going to be 5lbs if I don't spend $300 plus on a big enough pack that's still ultralight. The Granite Gear Vapor Trail ($150 new) is good for those with gear weight under 30lbs. I found one on ebay at $40 with 3 days left. It may be a bit premature, but I'm interested in it. I'll think about getting it via esnipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment